Deutsche Website

Deutsche Website

Midsummer Remise

Midsummer Remise

22. & 23.06.2019
The weekend of Nordic castles and manor houses.
Move with us from estate to estate.

MittsommerRemise


Manor House Klein Upahl

Klein Upahl is situated in the middle of the Dobbertiner Seenlandschaft (Dobbertin lake landscape) in the triangle of Güstrow - Sternberg - Goldberg. The manor house stands only a few metres away from the shore of the lake "Upahler See". It is a two-storey, rendered building of 10 axes, with a flat hipped roof, which was built in classicist style at the beginning of the 19th century




Nowadays the newly renovated manor invites guests for holidays into high-quality and newly furnished holiday apartments.

Holidays at the Manor House Klein Upahl

The manor house restaurant "Steak Haus Brasil" is well known and favoured for its high-quality cuisine with Brazilian meat specialities fresh from the barbecue grill, as well as other tasteful dishes.

Manor House Restaurant "Steak Haus Brasil"


History of the Estate Klein Upahl

Since 1263 the villages "Opal" and "Wendischen Opale" (nowadays Groß Upahl and Klein Upahl) belonged to the property of the monastery Dobbertin and were therefore linked to the fate of the monastery. During the course of the protestant Reformation, Johann Albrecht I, Duke of Mecklenburg (-Schwerin) and Ulrich, Duke of Mecklenburg (-Güstrow) handed over the monasteries into the responsibility of the knighthood and provincial government in 1572. They decided that the monastery would in future be used as a sanctuary for ladies of noble rank (canonesses).

Responsible for the administration of the monastery properties was the monastery captain or bailiff. They would appoint the respective tenants. The list of names of the monastery captains responsible for Dobbertin and thus also Klein Upahl in the following centuries reads in parts like the Who´s Who of the oldest Mecklenburg nobility. Mentioned amongst others are:

Since the November Revolution of 1918, the related abdication of the monarchy and the proclamation of the republic, the monastery estate Klein Upahl came under state administration and continued to be leased as a demesne. Thus was prior to 1908 until at least 1924 Karl Bech the tenant of the estate. At this time the property comprised 488 hectares of arable and pasture land and 274 hectares of forest.


Keywords: