Deutsche Website

Deutsche Website

City Guide Stralsund

City Guide Stralsund

for guests of the Hanseatic city: A richly illustrated ramble through the present and history of the Hanseatic city of Stralsund with a map of the old town.

Manor House Üselitz

In the Southern part of the Island of Rügen, you will reach the romantic manor house Üselitz via adventurous paths. The manor was originally in possession of the Dukes of Pomerania.

Üselitz we show in the calendar for 2024

Calendar A4: view | Calendar A3: view

or order via the order form here

In 1562 Üselitz came into possession of Erich von Zuhme. The Renaissance building was erected here around 1580. In 1644 the estate was pledged to Friedrich von Ahnen, 20 years later it was owned by the House of Putbus and at the end of the 17th century by the von Normann family. Finally, in 1706, Üselitz passed to the von Langen family, who retained ownership until 1939. Friedrich Freiherr von Langen, resident in Parow, is considered the most famous representative of this family. In 1928, he was the first German Olympic champion in show jumping and dressage. The last owner was Burghard von Veltheim until 1945.

After WWII refugees moved into the manor house. By 1968 the residents moved out, after which it stood empty for a long time and occasionally served as a training ground for the riot police and combat groups. Thus natural decay was joined by active destruction. The manor house became a ruin, only the outer walls and part of the inner walls were still standing.

The current owners spent years restoring the manor house. Fragments of the original substance which still existed were preserved in this process. Ten flats were created on the four floors of the manor house. On the ground floor and in the manor park, rooms and areas have been created that are suitable for hosting all kinds of events.

We introduce this place in part 1 of the book "Manor Houses and Castles on the Island of Rügen"