Deutsche Website

Deutsche Website

Castle Kaarz in calendar 2022

Castle Kaarz in calendar 2022

Info & Order

Kölzow manor house in calendar 2021

Kölzow manor house in calendar 2021

Info & Order

Manor House (Castle) Klein Helle

The impressive manor complex of Klein Helle is near enough completely extant. The road is lined with neat farm labourers´ cottages which in uniformed architecture lead to the estate buildings. At the end of the yard stands the prestigious manor house with the adjacent landscaped park.

Seated here in the 14th century was the Muggesfeld family, during the 15th century the families Maltzan, Voss, Woosten and Parsow were enfeoffed with individual estates. The von Voss family owns the whole village in the 17th century. From 1759 to 1783 the von Schuckmann family, followed by von Müller and Hans von Zülow. From 1812 on Bogislaw von Ferber is the owner, then Friedrich Ludwig Franz Reissmann in 1871, A. Bartold and Karl Helmuth Bahlcke in 1875, and from 1898 on the Schwanitz family.

The factory owner Carl Schwanitz from Berlin created the present uniform appearance of the place in 1900. The manor house of the von Voss family from the mid 18th century was fitted with towers on both gable ends, on the left side the tower is square, the one on the right side is a round tower. The courtyard facade was equipped with a portico and a balcony. On the park facing side of the building there is a semicircular protrusion which is part of the ball room, this features leaf moulds and putti. Some remains from the time of the reconstruction are extant inside the manor house for instance a cast-iron stair case, wainscoting, parquet flooring, and stucco ceilings.

At the same time Carl Schwanitz commissioned the building of the farm labourers´ cottages and the estate buildings. Klein Helle was among the most substantial trotters stud farms of the country at that time, parts of the racecourse remain.

After 1945 the manor house accommodated a school and later a children's home up to 2003. Since the closing of the children´s home the manor house is in use no more or rather in parts only.

The landscape park with its varied population of trees and a small lake had been established in the 18th century and was redesigned around 1900.  

Structure of ownership prior to 1945:

in the 14th century

The Lords of Muggesfeld

in the 15th century

Shared by von Maltzan, Voss, Woosten, Parsow

1595 - 1759

von Voss

1759 - 1783

von Schuckmann

1783 - 1786

von Müller

1786 - 1812

von Zülow

1812 - 1871

Leberecht von Ferber

1871 - 1875

Friedrich Ludwig Franz Reissmann

1875 - 1876

A. Bartold

1876 - 1898

Ulrich Heinrich Carl Fritz Bahlke

1898 - 1917

Karl Schwanitz

1928 - 1938

Margarete von Linsingen, nee Liefeld
(Administrator: Carl von Linsingen)