Deutsche Website

Deutsche Website

Recommend us!

Recommend us!

No relation

Wiligrad Castle in calendar 2019

Wiligrad Castle in calendar 2019

info & order

Wrangelsburg manor house in calendar 2021

Wrangelsburg manor house in calendar 2021

Info & Order

Wohrenstorf Manor House

The Wohrenstorf estate was owned by the von Bassewitz family from 1416 to 1945. The house was built between 1732 and 1735. It was structurally changed at the end of the nineteenth century.

After 1945 refugees sheltered on the estate.  In 1989 Bernd Schröter and Bernd Teichmann from Kiel acquired the house, since when it has been privately owned.  In 2014 the façade was renovated, and the interior was also lavishly modernized and restored.  During the restoration emphasis was placed on traditional workmanship.  All ceilings still retain their original plaster ornamentation.  The foyer and a large number of doors with their door knob backplates were able to be preserved.

Since 2016 the house is once more in the possession of the von Bassewitz family.

Apart from the manor house itself and a renovated stable block, nothing remains of the estate.  Most of the stables were torn down during the East German era.  Today new single-family homes occupy the former estate complex.  The remains of a landscape garden also belong to the house.

Owners until 1945:


Claus von Bassewitz acquires the estate from Claus and Christoph von Werke


von Bassewitz


Privy Counsellor and Cathedral Dean Joachim Otto Adolf Graf (Count) von Bassewitz


Chamberlain Henning Friedrich Graf (Count) von Bassewitz (of Prebberede)


Privy Chamberlain Carl Christoph Graf (Count) von Bassewitz


Chamberlain Adolf Graf (Count) von Bassewitz (of Dalwitz)


Chamberlain Friedrich Graf (Count) von Bassewitz


Adolf Bernhard Philipp Victor Graf (Count) von Bassewitz (of Prebberede)


Bernhard Friedrich Alexander Graf (Count) von Bassewitz


Heinrich Graf (Count) von Bassewitz (of Dalwitz)


Adolf Graf (Count) von Bassewitz-Behr


State Minister and Chamberlain Karl Graf (Count) von Bassewitz-Levetzow of Bristow

After 1402 the estate of the lords of Wohrenstorf always included the subsidiary property of Weitendorf.  In the seventeenth century Horst (near Niekrenz) was added.

Excerpt from Geographisch-statistisch-historisches Handbuch des Mecklenburger Landes [Geographical, Statistical, and Historical Handbook of Mecklenburg], Gustav Hempel, 1843:  “Wohrenstorf, not far from Recknitz, property in primogeniture of Count von Bassewitz-Perlin, estate with 39 inhabitants, insured for 18,350 Reichsthaler [standard currency] . . . free of feudal duties.”

Editorial help by Axel Stelter