Manor House Karow near Güstrow

During the 16th century up to the middle of the 18th century the village of Karow near Güstrow was in possession of a knighthood family named Fineke.

In the 18th century the von Gamm family farmed the estate, later the Lemke family and from 1826 to 1886 the Hillmann family. From 1886 on the estate was owned by Gerhard Hegeler, his family managed the agricultural enterprise up to the expropriation in 1945. The manor house, a two storey rendered brick building was built around 1850. Towards the end of the 19th century and also after a fire in 1912 structural changes took place. On these occasions the central risalit was equipped with the portico and the semicircular winter garden with the balcony was built on to the eastern wing of the building.

After WW II the manor house was used by the community and the local LPG (agricultural production cooperative) for various purposes, for instance as kindergarten and for residential use. Of the former estate complex amongst others the estate manager´s house is extant.

In 2005 the manor house found new owners who since then have started to restore the building true to the original style and floor plan. After completion the house will be open for events.

Behind the manor house there is a small park with a lake. In the village there stands a court column which dates from 1753.

For further information: