Manor House (Castle) Charlottenthal

Charlottenthal town is situated north of Lake Krakow and was previously known as Grube. Since 1637, the property was owned by the von Klevenow family.




They pledged it to the von Levetzow family in 1666. Ownership then changed frequently, until Conrad Hahn acquired the property in 1791. He had a one-storey manor house built in Charlottenthal and, in 1793, had the town renamed to Charlottenthal. After 1815, there was another frequent change of ownership until 1842 when Christian Engel acquired the estate and had the manor house rebuilt in Neo-Gothic design by architect Theodor Krüger in 1843. In 1861, the Engel family sold the property to the Bahlmann family and, in 1898, the family von Schmidt-Pauli acquired possession of Charlottenthal. They had a thoroughbred stud farm with a training course. Part of property was divided up in 1932, the rest remained in the possession of the von Schmidt-Pauli family until 1945.

During the occupation by the Russian army, all facilities in the manor house were demolished, not even the 70 thoroughbred horses could be saved.

After 1945, refugees moved into the building. Later, a nursery and a restaurant were set up.

After 1990, the manor house remained empty for many years until it had new owners who continue to refurbish it. A restaurant was opened in the foyer.

On April 11th, 2016, a fire broke out in the early morning hours and almost destroyed the building completely.


Structure of ownership pre 1945:

1637-1666

von Klevenow family

-1792

brothers von Schilling

1792-1815

von Hahn family

1815-1838-1815

Gustav and Joh. Franz Degener

1838-1842

Peter Heinrich Stender

1842-1857

Christian Wilhelm Engel

1857-1861

Ernst Rudolf Jacobson

1861-1896

Georg Friedrich Carl Bahlmann
widowed Marie Bahlmann neé Janentzki

1896-1898

Dr. jur. Adolf Strauss

1898-1945

general Theodor Schmidt-Pauly

   

Keywords: