You are here: Homepage > Castles

Deutsch Deutsch




Castle, Manor House or Farm House?

Castle, Manor House or Farm House?

Information about the classification castle, manor house or farmhouse. Surely you must have asked yourself by which criteria we sorted the listing of manor houses and castles.

Castle or Manor House


Design by ars-campus

Design by ars-campus

ars-campus, the specialists of webdesign, printdesign and logo – based in Rostock and Stralsund.

www.ars-campus.de


Castles

Castle, manor house or farm house? You can`t find a castle in this list?
Here you can find an explanation


Bad Doberan


In 1171, Bishop Berno of Schwerin and the Obotrite prince Pribislav founded a Cistercian monastery on the site of what had been the Germanic settlement of Althof. ... more


Barth


According to records, a permanent castle structure, "Castrum Barth", existed in Barth from Wendish times. In a document dating from 1324, the castle is referred to as a fortification. ... more


Bothmer Castle


Schloss Bothmer is situated in the area known as the "Klützer Winkel", near the town of Klütz. It is the largest Baroque palace complex in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. ... more


The Belvedere in Broda, Neubrandenburg


From its elevated position, the terrace of the Belvedere offers a magnificent view across Neubrandenburg's lake, Tollensesee. ... more


Bützow


The original castle in Bützow was destroyed and rebuilt in the 13th century. The castle erected in 1263 served up until the 14th century as a bishop's residence, and the ribbed vaulting of the chapel stems from this time. ... more


Dargun Castle


In 1172, Danish monks founded a Cistercian monastery on the site of what is now Schloss Dargun, and one year later the altar was consecrated by Bishop Berno of Schwerin. ... more


Franzburg


The town of Franzburg is situated in the middle of what is today the district of Nordvorpommern. In the 12th and 13th centuries, the region belonged to the Principality of Rügen. ... more


Friedrichsmoor Hunting Lodge


Jagdschloss Friedrichsmoor is a hunting lodge situated within the Lewitz conservation area, a landscape characterised today by woodland, meadows, ditches and ponds. ... more


Friedrichsthal Hunting Lodge


Friedrichsthal is a north westerly district of the capital "city" of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Schwerin. In 1790, the government official August Georg von Brandenstein built a simple half-timbered summerhouse there, which, after various changes of owner, was acquired in 1797 by Grand Duke Friedrich Franz 1 for 4,000 Taler (silver coins). ... more


Gadebusch Castle


Gadebusch is one of the oldest towns in Mecklenburg. Its Renaissance palace was built in 1571 by Duke Christoph of Mecklenburg on the site of a castle first mentioned in the 8th century, destroyed in 1181 and then rebuilt. ... more


Hunting Lodge Gelbensande


Picturesquely situated in a wooded area of heathland near Rostock, Jagdschloss Gelbensande was once the summer residence of Duke Friedrich Franz III of Mecklenburg (1851 - 1897) and his wife Anastasia Michailovna Romanova (1860 - 1922). ... more


Schloss Grambow


Schloss Grambow was originally constructed around 1840/45 as a home for the Jacobson family. It was designed by architect Carl Adolph Hermes as a large, two-and-a-half storey building with 15 windows along its width, overlooking a park. ... more


Granitz Hunting Lodge


Jagdschloss Granitz, which is built on an elevation of 106m known as the Tempelberg, offers visitors a breathtaking view over the island of Rügen. ... more


Güstrow Castle


The most important Renaissance building in northern Germany was built in the 16th century, initially as the seat of Duke Ulrich of Mecklenburg. Duke Ulrich's old castle had burnt down, and the new residence, as the times demanded, was built to impress. ... more


Hohenzieritz Castle


Hohenzieritz Castle was built between 1746 and 1751 for Hans Christian von Fabian, incorporating parts of an earlier building. ... more


Ludwigsburg Castle


Schloss Ludwigsburg is idyllically situated on the edge of the Greifswald Bodden (Bay of Greifswald). It was built between 1577 and 1592 on the orders of Duke Ernst Ludwig of Pommern-Wolgast as a dowager's residence for his wife. ... more


Ludwigslust Castle


In 1724, a hunting lodge and park for Duke Christian Ludwig II of Mecklenburg-Schwerin were built in the village of Klenow. In 1754, the village was renamed Ludwigslust. ... more


Mirow Castle


Situated on an island in Lake Mirow, the palace and surrounding buildings were built in stages between 1749 and 1770 on the site of a former commandery of the Order of St. John which was founded in  1227. ... more


Neustadt-Glewe


Construction of the palace at Neustadt-Glewe began in 1619 for Duke Adolf Friedrich I of Mecklenburg. The ducal architect was Gerhart Evert Piloot, who died in 1629, causing work to come to a standstill. ... more


Neustrelitz Castle


Between 1726 and 1731, Jagdschloss Glienecke, a hunting lodge, was converted by the architect Christoph Julius Löwe into an three-storey, three-wing but otherwise unostentatious palace. ... more


Penkun castle


The tiny town of Penkun, which first appears in historical records in 1269, nestles like an island between three lakes. In 1480, the manor at Penkun was enfoeffed to Werner von der Schulenburg. ... more


Plüschow Castle


In 1450, Plüschow is recorded as belonging to the von Bülow family. In 1758, the estate was acquired by the Hamburg-based merchant Philipp Heinrich Stenglin, who established it as a summer residence for himself and his wife. ... more


Prillwitz Castle


The Prillwitz estate was owned in the 14th century by the von Peccatel family. It then passed to the von Heydebreck family, then the von Maltzahn family, and was later owned, until the end of the 17th century, by the Blankenburg family. ... more


Pudagla Castle (Manor House)


The village of Pudagla is located on the island of Usedom, on a narrow stretch of land between lake Schmollensee and the bay formed by the Achterwasser lagoon. ... more


Putbus Castle


Putbus was held by the von Putbus family from the 12th century until 1945. The "stone house" is mentioned as the family home in historical records dating to as early as 1371. ... more


Raben Steinfeld Castle


Raben Steinfeld first appears in historical records on January 11, 1410, taking its name from the von Raben family and from the stony nature of the local fields (Stein=stone, feld=field). ... more


Remplin Castle


In the mid-18th century, the von Hahn family built a three-wing Baroque palace at Remplin. Starting in 1865, alterations were carried out by Duke Georg of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who wanted the palace to reflect the style of the French Renaissance and called upon the services of the Berlin-based architect Friedrich Hitzig. ... more


Herzogliches Palais Rostock


In 1705, Adolf Friedrich II bought what had formerly been a hall of residence belonging to Rostock University, and in 1713, work began under architect Leonhard Christoph Sturm to transform it into a ducal palace for Duke Karl Leopold. ... more


Castle Schwerin


The island on which the current palace stands was, in the 8th/9th century, the site of one of the main castles of the Slavic Obotrite tribe. The castle was destroyed in 1160 and rebuilt by the counts of Schwerin, whose residence it was until 1358, when it was taken over by the Dukes of Mecklenburg. ... more


Stargard Castle


The building began through the order of the Margraves Johann I and Otto III von Brandenburg in 1236 and was finished in 1258. ... more


Reuterstadt Stavenhagen Castle


The little town of Reuterstadt Stavenhagen was originally overlooked by a castle on the road from Neubrandenburg to Malchin. ... more


Ueckermünde Castle


Ueckermünde is a harbour town and officially recognised health resort situated directly on the Stettiner Haff (Bay of Szczecin), a shallow inlet which connects the north east of Germany with Poland. ... more


Wiligrad Castle


Schloss Wiligrad is situated to the north of Schwerin near the village of Lübstorf, in a wooded area which extends down to the shore of Lake Schwerin. ... more


Fürstenhof Wismar


Between 1256 and 1358, Wismar was the main residence of the Princes of Mecklenburg. The Fürstenhof (Princes' Palace) is made up of two wings set almost at right angles to each other. ... more